Assignment: Create a Windows 10 Administrator User Account
As discussed in my previous blog, it is vital to not log in with an administrator account. Unfortunately, since the first account created in Windows 10 is an administrator, almost all Windows 10 users do log in with an administrative account.
In this Part 1 of the assignment, you will create a Windows 10 administrative user account. In Part 2, you will change your own account (which is probably administrative) back to a standard user account.
- Log in to the computer with your normal administrator account.
- Click on the Start menu > Settings > Accounts > Family & Other users. If you would like the account to be attached to your Microsoft account, click Add a family member. Otherwise, click on Add someone else to this PC.
- You will be presented with a window to add a new user. By default, it will want you to create the new user with an email address. We will not be doing this. Click on the option The person I want to add doesn’t have an email address.
- Click on Add a user without a Microsoft account.
- The Create an account for this PC Enter the user name, password and password hint and click Next.
- In the username field, enter
- In the password field, enter a strong password. Reenter in the reenter password field.
- In the password hint field, you must type a hint. Type a hint that will remind you of the password.
- Click on the Next button to confirm your changes.
- On the Accounts window click on the account you created and click Change account type. This account is currently a standard user, we will now change it to an administrator account.
- Select Standard User and change it to Press OK to continue.
- The Accounts window will now show your administrator account setup.
- Click the X in the upper right corner to close the User and accounts.
Congratulations. You have just created a new Administrator account.
In the next post, you will change your owner account from an Administrator to a Standard user.
Everything you want and need to know about securing your device, data, and identity. Contained in the easiest, most comprehensive books available. Guaranteed!